Frauenfiguren in Heinrich Bölls Werken und ihre Rollen in der Erzählstruktur: zu Frauenfiguren in Heinrich Bölls Romanen Billiard um halb zehn, Ansichten eines Clowns, Gruppenbild mit Dame und Erzählung Die verlorene Ehre der Katharina Blum
Keywords:German literature, female figures
AbstractThe following article presents female characters and their role in four important novels by Heinrich Böll. The central female characters, who are the subject of this research, are Johanna Fähmel from the novel Billard um halb zehn (1959), Marie Derkum (Ansichten eines Clowns, 1963), Leni Pfeiffer, the heroine of the novel Gruppenbild mit Dame (1971) and Katharina Blum from the novel Die verlorene Ehre der Katharina Blum (1974). Heinrich Böll's novels were often studied and analysed. However, in those studies very little attention was devoted to female characters. At first sight, they appear to be of lesser importance; however, their role in the narrative structure should not be neglected. Although some literature researchers including Dorothee Römhild and Evelyn T. Beck were very critical of them and labelled them as dependent, traditional and completely subordinate to men, this article is trying to prove the opposite. Female characters in Heinrich Böll's novels are very complex, and the society tends to be ambivalent about them. Still, the most important fact is that they affect the narrative structure both directly and indirectly, thus representing an indispensable element in Böll's novels.
Download data is not yet available.
How to Cite
Jokić, K. (2011). Frauenfiguren in Heinrich Bölls Werken und ihre Rollen in der Erzählstruktur: zu Frauenfiguren in Heinrich Bölls Romanen Billiard um halb zehn, Ansichten eines Clowns, Gruppenbild mit Dame und Erzählung Die verlorene Ehre der Katharina Blum. Acta Neophilologica, 44(1-2), 113–127. https://doi.org/10.4312/an.44.1-2.113-127
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Acta Neophilologica by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.