Zwischen Abweichung und Stereotyp: Die Grossmutterfigur in den Zeitgenössischen deutschsprachigen Romanen Lady Berta von Annette Hug und Die schärfsten Gerichte der tatarischen Küche von Alina Bronsky
Keywords:grandmother, traditional image of grandmother, modern German novels
AbstractThe goal of the following contribution is to analyse the image of the grandmother in two modern German-language novels Lady Berta by Annette Hug and Die schärfsten Gerichte der tatarischen Küche by Alina Bronsky. The paper starts with presenting the historical and cultural development of the grandparent concept with special emphasis on the changing of traditional social role of the grandmother. This historical and sociological background functions as a basis for the following literary analyses of the grandmother's image and representation in the two contemporary novels of Hug and Bronsky. The comparison detects, as suggested by the title, that in spite of the deviations of the grandmother figures the traditional and stereotyped image prevails in the expectations of the granddaughters as well as the readers.
Download data is not yet available.
How to Cite
Jesenovec, B. (2014). Zwischen Abweichung und Stereotyp: Die Grossmutterfigur in den Zeitgenössischen deutschsprachigen Romanen Lady Berta von Annette Hug und Die schärfsten Gerichte der tatarischen Küche von Alina Bronsky. Acta Neophilologica, 47(1-2), 87–98. https://doi.org/10.4312/an.47.1-2.87-98
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Acta Neophilologica by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.