Can Social Media Replace a Suspended Rite?
An Example from Central Italy
Keywords:Covid-19, pilgrimage, virtual compensation, communitas, devotional music
In 2020 and 2021, the restrictions imposed by the Covid-19 pandemic suspended or limited important rites and the web became the place to fill the void. In March 2020, I started to conduct virtual fieldwork on this development from the perspective of what happened to the pilgrimage to the Holy Trinity of Vallepietra (Central Italy).
Affuso, Olimpia, Maria Carmela Agodi, and Flacio Ceravolo. 2020. “Scienza, expertise e senso comune: dimensioni simboliche e sociomateriali della pandemia.” [“Science, Expertise and Commonsense: Symbolic and Socio-Material Dimensions of the Pandemic Experience.”] AIS Journal of Sociology 16: 57–68. DOI: 10.1485/2281-2652-202016-4.
Brelich, Angelo. 1955. Un culto preistorico vivente nell’Italia centrale. [A Living Prehistoric Cult in Central Italy.] Bologna: Zanichelli.
Caruso, Fulvia. 2008. Evviva la Santissima Trinità. [Live the Holy Trinity.] Pescara: Carsa.
Caruso, Fulvia. 2015. “The ‘Canzonetta in lode alla Santissima Trinità’: Roles and Rules of a Devotion Expressed through Singing.” In Multipart Music, Individuals and Educated Musicians in Traditional Practices, edited by Paul Richter and L. Tari-Miháltzné, 125–140. Budapest: Institute of Musicology.
Cooley, Timothy J., Katharine Meizel, and Nasir Syed. 2008. “Virtual Fieldwork: Three Case Studies.” In Shadows in the Field: New Perspectives for Fieldwork in Ethnomusicology, edited by Gregory F. Bartz and Timothy J. Cooley, 90–107. Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press.
Giannattasio, Francesco. 2017. “Perspectives on a 21st Century Comparative Musicology: An Introduction.” In Musicology or Transcultural Musicology? Perspectives on a 21st Century Comparative Musicology, edited by Francesco Giannattasio and Giovanni Giuriati, 10–28. Udine: Nota.
Hannerz, Ulf. 1992. Cultural Complexity: Studies in the Social Organization of Meaning. New York: Columbia University Press.
Ingalls, Monique. 2019. “Digital Devotion: Musical Multimedia in Online Ritual and Religious Practice.” In The Cambridge Companion to Music in Digital Culture, edited by Nicholas Cook, Monique Ingalls, and David Trippett, 150–167. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. DOI: 10.1017/9781316676639.
Macchiarella, Ignazio. 2017. “Making Music in the Time of YouTube: Introduction.” Philomusica On-line 16: 1–12. DOI: 10.13132/1826-9001/16.1873.
Podjed, Dan. 2021. “Renewal of Ethnography in the Time of the COVID-19 Crisis.” Sociologija i prostor 59, no. 219: 267–284. DOI: 10.5673/sip.59.0.10.
Qureshi, Regula. 2000. “How Does Music Mean? Embodied Memories and the Politics of Affect in the Indian ‘Sarangi.’” American Ethnologist 27, no. 4: 805–838. https://www.jstor.org/stable/647396.
Simeoni, Elisabetta, ed. 2006. Fede e tradizione: Alla Santissima Trinità di Vallepietra 1881–2006. [Faith and Tradition: To the Holy Trinity of Vallepietra 1881–2006.] Roma: Artemide Edizioni.
Turner, Victor, and Edith Turner. 1978. Image and Pilgrimage in Christian Culture. New York: Columbia University Press.
Wood, Abigail. 2008. “E-Fieldwork: A Paradigm for the Twenty-First Century?” In The New (Ethno)musicologies, edited by Henry Stobart, 174–192. Lanham, Toronto, and Plymouth: The Scarecrow Press.
Comune di Vallepietra. [Municipality of Vallepietra.] [n. d.]. Facebook. Accessed December 7, 2021. https://www.facebook.com/comunedivallepietrapaginaufficiale.
Confraternità S.S. Trinità Vallepietra. [Brotherhood of the Holy Trinity of Vallepietra.] [n. d.]. Facebook. Accessed December 7, 2021. https://www.facebook.com/ConfraternitasstVallepietra/.
Fede e tradizione al Santuario della Santissima Trinità – Vallepietra. [Faith and tradition at the Sanctuary of the Holy Trinity – Vallepietra]. [n. d.]. Facebook, public group. Accessed December 7, 2021. https://www.facebook.com/groups/2238148483087564.
Iacobelli, Renato. 2020. “Quanto mi manca ad non essere stato alla Santissima Trinita ….” Facebook. July 20, 2020. https://www.facebook.com/renato.iacobelli/videos/3177118292334978.
Santuario Santissima Trinità. [Santissima Trinità Sanctuary]. [n. d.]. Facebook. Accessed December 7, 2021. https://www.facebook.com/Santuario-Santissima-Trinit%C3%A0-1751090741791163.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Fulvia Caruso
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Musicological Annual by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.