Temporal Evolution of Makam and Usul Relationship in Turkish Makam
Keywords:music information retrieval, Turkish makam, computational musicology
Turkish makam music is transmitted orally and learned through repetition. Most previous computational analysis works focus either on makam (its melodic structure) or usul (its rhythmic pattern) separately. The work presented in this paper performs a combined analysis to explore the descriptive potential of the relationship between these in over 600 makam pieces.
Bozkurt, Barış. “Computational Analysis of Overall Melodic Progression for Turkish Makam Music.” In Penser l’improvisation, edited by Ayari Mondher, 289–298. Sampzon: Éditions Delatour France, 2015.
Bozkurt, Barış. “Features for Analysis of Makam Music.” In Proceedings of the 2nd CompMusic Workshop. Istanbul: Universitat Pompeu Fabra, 2012, 61–65.
Bozkurt, Barış. “Usul Samples by barisbozkurt.” Freesound.org. Sound recordings posted by user barisbozkurt. Accessed July 8, 2022. https://freesound.org/search/?q=usul.
Gedik, Ali C., and Barış Bozkurt. “Pitch-Frequency Histogram-Based Music Information Retrieval for Turkish Music.” Signal Processing 90, no. 4 (2010): 1049–1063. DOI:/10.1016/j.sigpro.2009.06.017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sigpro.2009.06.017
Gómez, Esteban, and Benedikt Wimmer. “Turkish Makam Temporal Analysis.” GitHub. Accessed October 2022. https://github.com/eagomez2/turkish-makam-temporal-analysis.
Holzapfel, André. “Relation Between Surface Rhythm and Rhythmic Modes in Turkish Makam Music.” Journal of New Music Research 44, no. 1 (2015): 25–38. DOI:/10.1080/09298215.2014.939661. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/09298215.2014.939661
Holzapfel, André, and Barış Bozkurt. “Metrical Strength and Contradiction in Turkish Makam Music.” In Proceedings of the 2nd CompMusic Workshop. Istanbul: Universitat Pompeu Fabra, 2012, 79–84.
Karaosmanoglu, Mustafa Kemal. “A Turkish Makam Music Symbolic Database for Music Information Retrieval: SymbTr.” In Proceedings of the 13th International Society for Music Information Retrieval Conference. Porto: FEUP Edições, 2012, 223–228.
Öztürk, Okan Murat. “How Was the Traditional Makam Theory Westernized for the Sake of Modernization.” Rast Müzikoloji Dergisi 6, no. 1 (2018): 1769–1787. Accessed July 8, 2022. https://dergipark.org.tr/tr/download/article-file/540599. DOI: https://doi.org/10.12975/PP1769-1787
Şentürk, Sertan. “Computational Analysis of Audio Recordings and Music Scores for the Description and Discovery of Ottoman-Turkish Makam Music.” PhD dissertation, Universitat Pompeu Fabra Barcelona, 2016. http://mtg.upf.edu/node/3675.
Yarman, Ozan. “A Comparative Evaluation of Pitch Notations in Turkish Makam Music.” Journal of Interdisciplinary Music Studies 1, no. 2 (2007): 51–62. DOI:/10.13140/RG.2.2.14971.72483.
Zachariadou, Anastassia. “The M (Maqam/Makam – Mode) App.” Series Musicologica Balcanica 1, no. 1 (2020): 29–55. DOI:/10.26262/smb.v1i1.7735.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Benedikt Wimmer, Esteban Gómez
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Musicological Annual by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.