The Structure of the Musical Theatre Repertoire in the New Regional Theatre (1892-1903)
Keywords:Regional theatre, German theatre, Slovene theatre, opera premieres
AbstractThe opening of the new Regional Theatre at the beginning of the 1892/93 season, a hill decade after the devastating fire, was a turning point in the performing history of the Slovene musical theatre. The foundation stone for operatic performances of the Slovene theatre was laid in 1889; however, adequate working conditions were given only under the roof of the new theatre building, which was to be shared with the German administration. Whereas guesting German theatre companies carried on with the longstanding tradition of theatrical performances, the Slovenes, from the very beginning, started unencumbered. The very first season revealed the difference. While the German side adjusted its repertoire to the abilities of seasonal performers, and gave only a few (or even no) operatic performances, the Slovenes, as regards their repertoire, attached special weight to operas. The present text focuses on the first decade of the new Regional Theatre's activities, commencing with the German repertoire, and, separately, dealing with the Slovene counterpart. On both sides, operatic premieres have been in the forefront of interest, accompanied by critical echoes in relevant local periodicals, such as the Laibacher Zeitung and the Ljubljanski zvon (The Ljubljana Bell). Taking into account the then prevailing conditions, the article aims at giving a structural profile of the repertoires of both theatres, leaving out the question of quality, since, due to the national factor, an objective evaluation of individual performances appears to be questionable and mutually comparable.
Download data is not yet available.
How to Cite
Lah, Špela. (2005). The Structure of the Musical Theatre Repertoire in the New Regional Theatre (1892-1903). Musicological Annual, 41(1), 71–79. https://doi.org/10.4312/mz.41.1.71-79
Copyright (c) 2005 Špela Lah
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Musicological Annual by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.