Three phases in the Miguel Hernández’s life: writing and ideology
Keywords:Miguel Hernandez, literature, ideology, historical juncture
The article is not only about the danger of the removal of a strict historical temporality of literary texts, but also about the inevitable relationship between writing and ideology, that is, about how a writer’s ideology influences the development, scope and nature of their writing, and how that relationship gets embodied in practice in which it can be critically observed and examined. In other words, what we seek to discuss is the question of how the “aesthetic value” of a work – provided that such a critical category can be established – is determined or affected by the writer’s ideology, bearing in mind that ideologies, and historical junctures, fundamentally influence texts and art objects as they are created. In the case of the work and life of Miguel Hernández, which was as intense as it was short, it is necessary to take into account and to thoroughly understand the notion of “three times”: a paralyzed time, which is suspended in the past and characterized by the Catholic and the Baroque poetic traditions; a time of discovery and culmination of desire, i. e. the time of (historical) present, which preserves tradition, but also adopts modernity; and a dynamic and collective time, which is immersed into History, but is a signal of change and is therefore turned towards the future. The last two times merge into a powerful and convincing expression of a perfect reality and of an accomplished personal experience, i. e. into a dynamic and open “defi nite time”, which changes and makes us change.
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Verba Hispanica by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.