Circular time in the novel Instinto de Inez by Carlos Fuentes
Keywords:time, memory, instinct, return, future
This paper questions the concept of the time in the novel Instinto de Inez by Mexican writer Carlos Fuentes. We analyze one of this writer’s techniques called temporal superposition, which creates chronological indetermination and whose theme is reincarnation, in order to create the sensation of the time stopping. This technique can consist of the simultaneous presentation of different historic moments, that is to say, the historic and the prehistoric ones in this case. We also discuss the semantic characteristics of the use of tense in the novel, especially the use of formula “tú” (you) with the future tense. This paper explores how circular time is used in this novel as a narrative technique to deny the optimistic idea of progress and to give an account of reality in which just the apparent can be changed while the essence stays immutable. This paper explores on the problems of time, history, memory, destiny and death.
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Verba Hispanica by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.