From a reading devoted monk to an idealist prompter: the Serbian Quixotes across the centuries
Keywords:Don Quixote, reception, Serbian literature, character
In this paper we analyze the characters of several Serbian novels published from the Enlightenment to the present day, whose main characters show obvious resemblances with Cervantes’ Don Quixote: Dositej Obradović´s Život i priključenija (1783), Jovan Sterija Popović´s Roman bez romana (1838), various novels of Jakov Ignjatović (Večiti mladoženja, 1878; Vasa Rešpekt, 1875; Milan Narandžić, 1860-1862), and Sančova verzija by Ratomir Damjanović (1999). We analyze their personalities, pointing out the similarities with their model and then exploring the differences or particularities emanating from either the author’s style, the period of its creation and/or the poetics of the Serbian literature. Our goal is to investigate the manner and the level in which the Cervantine legacy has been creatively transformed and what constant characteristics of the personality of Don Quixote have resisted the passage of time.
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Verba Hispanica by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.