Some notes on the Spanish language in America: linguistic context and context of situation in Mario Vargas Llosa’s novel El héroe discreto
Keywords:Language teaching, the Spanish language in America, Lexicography, Grammar.
It is commonly agreed that the teaching and learning of a mother tongue or foreign language must be based on the use of all kinds of oral or written texts, for it is these texts that clearly evince the vitality and complexities of a language. The undoubted quality and topicality of El héroe discreto are reasons enough to make a linguistic analysis of this novel since it will yield interesting lexical and morphological materials for the teaching and learning of one of the most extended varieties of the Spanish language. The aim of this article therefore is to present the results of such an analysis with the hope that they can help readers of the novel to fully understand its content as well as to increase their vocabulary and grammatical competence.
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Verba Hispanica by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.