Remarks on Politics and Language(s) Concerning Alphonso X «the Wise»
Keywords:Alphonso X «the Wise», nationalism, Hispanic kingdoms, apocope, Castilian language, Galician-Portuguese language, poetry
AbstractAccording to some philologists, certain linguistic behaviours adopted by the king Alphonso X the Wise in his use of the Castilian language were due to his Castilian nationalism. Nevertheless, our view is quite different. On the one hand, we accept the existence of the Castilian monarch’s political nationalism, which is manifest in his various expansionist ambitions (North Africa, Portuguese Algarve, Navarre, Germanic Empire…). But, on the other hand, we find no evidence of political nationalist ideology in the linguistic domain. In order to deny the king’s linguistic nationalism, the best way, in our opinion, is to remember his positive assessment of the Galician Portuguese language, which he made use of for writing his poetic work, particularly the Cantigas de Santa Maria. In this respect, this text becomes very important and very meaningful, not only in literary history but also from the linguistic point of view, because the king expresses in it —in Galician-Portuguese, not in Castilian— his religious zeal and his devotion to the Blessed Virgin.
Download data is not yet available.
How to Cite
Folgar, C. (2016). Remarks on Politics and Language(s) Concerning Alphonso X «the Wise». Verba Hispanica, 24(1), 17–36. https://doi.org/10.4312/vh.24.1.17-36
Copyright (c) 2017 Carlos Folgar
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Verba Hispanica by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.