The Usage of Spatial Deixis in Spoken Language of Santiago de Cuba. The Case of the Demonstrative Adverb Aquí
Keywords:Spatial Deixis, Demonstrative Adverbs, Aquí, Pragmatics, Spoken Language
The present work describes the discursive use in order to characterize how to use the spatial deictic expression here (aquí) using oral samples collected in the city of Santiago de Cuba. Our interest is aimed at exposing not only how this is a specialized way to designate the region next to the issuer, but how it is also possible to use it in other contexts. The expressed pragmatic content turns its use into a phenomenon of great interest that reflects the relationship between language and context in the very structure of languages.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2019 Tania Ulloa Casaña
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Verba Hispanica by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.