Elements for a Cognitive Analysis of Poetic Discourse
Keywords:Cognitive Poetics, Relevance, Pragmatics of Poetry, Discourse Analysis, Poetry
This paper proposes the application of some of the analytical instruments developed in cognitive studies to poetic discourse as a preliminary step for a global treatment of poetry based on the principle of relevance. The lack of contributions of this type in the Hispanic field makes this exploration more important. This application has been structured according to the three levels of discourse analysis: the sentence level to which the principles of cognitive grammar are applied; the textual level, where the viability of the theory of textual worlds in poetry is shown; and the discursive level, where the problems of the poetic subject and the generic identity of poetry are reconsidered from a cognitive perspective.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2019 Ángel Luján Atienza
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Verba Hispanica by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.