Novecentism: Battle Against the Devil. Notes about Bontempelli’s Cultural and Aesthetic Project.
Keywords:Modernism, magic realism, cultural renewal, autonomy of art, overcoming of relativism
This article, with reference to theoretical and polemical essays collected in L’Avventura novecentista (1938), retraces Bontempelli’s perspective on the project of cultural renewal (the Novecentism), which he himself promoted in the 1920’s. This article presents not only the battles he sustained and his farsightedness, but also the problems or rather the challenges of this project. Along these challenges came the utopian battle against relativism, the tendency to defend the autonomy of art and the contemporary requirement that this autonomy be open to the necessities of that time, as well the attempt to conciliate an artistic work, inclined to break the norms and expectations, with a concept of popular literature and art.
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Journal for Foreign Languages by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the publisher right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.