Attitude of French Teachers towards Teaching Grammar
Keywords:French lessons, grammar, communication approach, the opinion of teachers, textbooks
The present article is concerned with presenting the importance and role which is given to grammar by Slovenian teachers of the French language in secondary schools. Firstly the concept of grammar is defined and its position throughout history and in both curricula for the French language in Slovenian secondary schools is presented. Furthermore the changing role of grammar in the external exams is presented.
The main part of this article is related to the presentation of the research work and its results, in which we focused mostly on the questionnaire results’ presentation.
On the basis of the obtained results we can assume that Slovenian teachers consider grammar as a very important element of teaching, although they make use of different approaches in their teaching in order to develop all components of communicative competence.
They think that linguistic competence is only one element of communicative language competence, therefore they are rarely limited only to linguistic competence and accuracy.
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Journal for Foreign Languages by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the publisher right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.