Slovenian proper names designing living beings and geographical proper names, in tourist brochures and informative booklets translated into French
Keywords:proper names, translation, analysis, tourist brochures and booklets, French language
The article analyses French translations of Slovenian proper names in tourist bro chures and booklets published by the Slovenian Tourist Board and the Government of the Republic of Slovenia, Public Relations and Promotion Office.
We analysed the names of living beings (the group of names was expected to be less numerous) and above all geographical proper names. While we did not notice any bigger problems when translating proper names of living beings, the same can be said for one word geographical proper names. The opposite holds true for multiword geographical proper names.
As we believe that tourist brochures play an important role in representing the coun try abroad, we would expect translators be given more detailed guidelines as far as trans lation of proper names is concerned. We hope that the present article brings forth the hard nuts of translating proper names in a manner to encourage the creation of such guidelines.
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Journal for Foreign Languages by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the publisher right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.