Tesnière’s «elements de syntaxe structurale» between scientific and didactic discourse «elements de syntaxe structurale» between scientific and didactic discourse
Keywords:Tesnìere’s structural syntax, integrative model, pedagogic suggestions, didactic concepts
The paper deals with a discourse of Lucien Tesnière's structural syntax. Tesnière writes its work Éléments de syntaxe structurale (1959) around the middle of the 20th century, trying in first place to build an integrative model of the structural syntax which could be applied in the process of teaching of foreign languages. Such an purpose is evident in Tesnière's discourse: sometimes it is highly scientific, sometimes very simple and accessible to an reader, in this case to foreign language teachers. The rigour and objectivity of the scientific discours becomes clear in detailed analysis carried out in a methodologically perfect way (i. e. verb valency, concept of actant, connexion, junction and especially translation), while didactic discourse pervades Tesnière's work in general and especially in the chapter Pedagogic suggestions (the concepts of method of presentation, growing complexity, learner's interest, practical teaching, animacy in the classroom, active class). This enables us to establish that Tesnière anticipated around the middle of the 20th century some contemporary didactic concepts (learner's autonomy, active approach to language learning).
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Journal for Foreign Languages by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the publisher right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.