The Effects of Meaningful Learning of Spanish Article from the Perspective of Cognitive Grammar: the Results of Empirical Research
Keywords:Article, Cognitive Grammar, Operative Model, Model of Input Processing
AbstractThe objective of this article is to determine the effects of meaningful learning of the article in Spanish from the perspective of the cognitive grammar through an empirical research to provide an Operative Model and a Processing Instruction for the teaching/learning of the Spanish article. The proposal of the Operative Model of Article is based on cognitive perspective and therefore different values of prototypical operation of the article by Langacker (2008), Cifuentes Honrubia (1989) and Lopez García (2005) were analysed. The cognitive grammar instruction exposed in this article draws on the pedagogical approach developed by Ruiz Campillo (1998), Radden Dirven (2007), Castañeda (2014), Montero (2014b) and Santiago (2016), and the Processing Instruction is based on Van Patten (1993, 1996, 2002). The results of the analysis of the data show a positive and progressive development in the acquisition of Spanish article. Learners from the empirical research were able to process the Spanish article from the Perspective of Cognitive Grammar by means of meaningful learning.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2016 Gemma Santiago Alonso
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Journal for Foreign Languages by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the publisher right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.