On the Use of Corpora in Second Language Acquisition – Chinese as an Example
Keywords:Chinese, corpora, teaching methodology, second language acquisition, linguistic research
This paper aims to introduce the language corpora and the advantages of their use in the process of Chinese language acquisition. We provide practical examples of the corpora's direct and indirect use for teaching and learning Chinese as a second language. The exploratory approach towards Chinese by using various types of corpora is applicable for general language seminars as well as specialized translation seminars. The indirect use is mainly linked to the preparation of teaching materials and facilitates the curriculum design.
Benko, V., Butašová, A., Lalinská, M., Paľová, M., Puchovská Z., Segretain, A. & Zeleňáková, M. (2019). Webové Korpusy Aranea : Učebnica pre Učiteľov Cudzích Jazykov, Prekladateľov, Tlmočníkov, Filológov a Študentov Filologických Odborov. Bratislava: Univerzita Komenského.
Bernardini, S. (2004). Corpora in the Classroom. An Overview and Some Reflections on Future Developments. In J. McHardy Sinclair (Ed.), How to Use Corpora in Language Teaching (pp.15-38). Amsterdam: Benjamins.
Bluemel, B. (2019). Pedagogical Applications of Chinese Parallel Corpora. In X. Lu & B. Chen (Eds.), Computational and Corpus Approaches to Chinese Language Learning (pp.81-98). Singapore: Springer.
Casas-Pedrosa, A.V., Fernández-Domínguez, J. & Alcaraz-Sintes , A. (2013). Introduction: the Use of Corpora for Language Teaching and Learning. Research in Corpus Linguistics, 1, 1–5.
CCL Han-Ying shuangyu yuliaoku CCL汉英双语语料库 [CCL Chinese-English Parallel Corpus of Center for Chinese linguistics PKU]. Retrieved from http://ccl.pku.edu.cn:8080/ccl_corpus/index_bi.jsp.
Chen, H.-J. & Tao, H.-Y. (2019). Academic Chinese: From Corpora to Language Teaching. In X. Lu & B. Chen (Eds.), Computational and Corpus Approaches to Chinese Language Learning (pp. 57-79). Singapore: Springer.
Chen, Y. (2008). Chinese-English/English-Chinese Pocket Legal Dictionary. New York: Hippocrene Books.
Cowie, A. (1994). Phraselogy. The Encyclopaedia of Language and Linguistics, 6, 3168–3171.
Gajdoš, Ľ. (2017). Chinese Legal Texts – Quantitative Description. Acta Linguistica Asiatica, 7(1), 77-87. https://doi.org/10.4312/ala.7.1.77-87.
Gajdoš, Ľ. (2020). Verb Collocations in Chinese- Retrieving, Visualization and Analysis of Corpus Data. Studia Orientalia Slovaca, 19(1), 121-138.
Guan, X.-C. 管新潮 & Tao, Y.-L. 陶友兰. (2017). Yuliaoku yu fanyixue 语料库语翻译学 [Corpus and Translation]. Shanghai: Fudan daxue chubanshe.
Harris, A. (2006). Revisiting Anaphoric Islands. Language, 82(1), 114–30.
Hu, K.-B. 胡开宝. (2011). Yuliaoku fanyi jiaoxue gailun 语料库翻译教学概论 [An Introduction to Corpus Translation Teaching]. Shanghai: Shanghai Jiaotong Daxue chubanshe.
Jin, T. 金檀, Lu, X. 陆小飞, Lin, Y. 林筠, & Li, B. 李百川. (2018). Hanyu yuedu fenji zhinanzhen：shiyong shouce 汉语阅读分级指难针: 使用手册. Retrieved from https://www.languagedata.net/editor/manual.pdf.
Jing-Schmidt, Z. (2019). Corpus and Computational Methods for Usage-Based Chinese Language Learning: Toward a Professional Multilingualism. In X. Lu & B. Chen (Eds.), Computational and Corpus Approaches to Chinese Language Learning (pp. 13-31). Singapore: Springer.
Johns, T. (1991). Should You Be Persuaded: Two Examples of Data Driven Learning. In T. Johns & P. King (Eds.), Classroom Concordancing (pp. 1-13). Birmingham: ELR.
Lancaster Corpus of Mandarin Chinese. Retrieved from http://corpus.leeds.ac.uk/query-zh.html.
Luo, L. 骆琳. (2008). Guanyu jianli Hanyu xuexizhe yuliaoku de sikao关于建立汉语学习者语料库的思考. Gaodeng gongcheng yanjiu 高等工程教育研究 , 47-49.
McEnery, T. & Hardie, A. (2012). Corpus Linguistics: Method, Theory and Practice. New York: Cambridge University Press.
McEnery, T. & Xiao, R. (2011). What Corpora Can Offer in Language Teaching and Learning. In E. Hinkel (Ed.), Handbook of Research in Second Language Teaching and Learning (pp. 364-380). London: Routledge.
Sinclair, J., Jones, S., Daley, R., & Krishnamurthy, R. (2004). English Collocational Studies: The OSTI Report. London: Continuum.
Su, X.-C. 苏新春, Tang, S.-Y. 唐师瑶, Luo, C.-Y. 罗春英 & Hong, G.-Z. 洪桂治. (2010). Jiaocai yuyan tongji yanjiu de duoweidu gongneng 教材语言统计研究的多维度多功能. Proceedings of the Innovation of International Chinese Teaching Theories and Models Conference.
Tsui, A. (2004). What Teachers Have Always Wanted to Know – and How Corpora Can Help. In J. McHardy Sinclair (Ed.), How to Use Corpora in Language Teaching (pp. 39-61). Amsterdam: Benjamins.
Xiao, R., Rayson, P. & Mcenery, T. (2009). A frequency dictionary of Mandarin Chinese: Core vocabulary for learners. London: Routledge.
Xu, J. (2019). The Corpus Approach to the Teaching and Learning of Chinese as an L1 and an L2 in Retrospect. In X. Lu & B. Chen (Eds.), Computational and Corpus Approaches to Chinese Language Learning (pp. 33-53). Singapore: Springer.
Yang, Y. (2016). Frequency-based HSK vocabulary. Beijing: Sinolingua.
Zhao, L.-Z. 赵连振 & Zhang, G.-J. 张桂军. (2015). Guonei yuliaoku fuzhu waiyucihui jiaoxue wenxian zongshu国内语料库辅助外语词汇教学文献综述. Yaoxue jiaoyu药学教育, 31(2), 34-39.
Zhao, X.赵星 & Kang, D.-M. 康冬梅. (2017). Yuliaoku zai Hanyu jiaoxue zhong de yingyong tanxi语料库在汉语教学中的应用探析. Xiandai yuwen 现代语文, 7, 85-87.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Mária Ištvánová
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published online in journal Acta Linguistica Asiatica by Ljubljana University Press, Faculty of Arts (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.