Liushu-based Instruction and Its Effects on the Motivation and Intended Learning Efforts: The Case of Laos Learners of Standard Chinese
Keywords:Liushu-based Instruction, Standard Chinese learners, motivation, intended learning efforts
This study examines the effects of Liushu-based instruction on the motivation and intended learning efforts. Beginners of Standard Chinese from Laos were assigned to the experiment group and the control group. The Liushu-based instruction in the experiment group was carried on for ten weeks. It was found that Liushu-based instruction has a positive effect on learners’ motivation, especially for Standard Chinese learners’ Ideal L2 Self and L2 learning experience. In addition, Ideal L2 Self showed a mediation effect between Liushu-based instruction and intended learning efforts. The article also provides several suggestions for the use of Liushu in Chinese character teaching.
Alshahrani, A. A. S. (2016). L2 motivational self-system among Arab EFL learners: Saudi Perspective. International Journal of Applied Linguistics and English Literature, 5(5), 145–152. https://doi.org/10.7575/aiac.ijalel.v.5n.5p.145
Chen, J. 陈俊权. (2020). Xiaoxue yuwen “Liushu” yujing xia de “Siti” shizi jiaoxue yu shuxie yanjiu小学语文“六书”语境下的“四体”识字教学与书写研究. Zhongguo Jiaoyu Xuekan 中国教育学刊, S1,41–43.
Chen, Y. 陈亚川.(1982). Liushushuo, jiantizi yu hanzi jiaoxue六书说、简体字与汉字教学. Yuyan Jiaoxue Yu Yanjiu语言教学与研究, 1, 85–104+160.
Chen, Y. 陈羿竹, & Fu, Y. 傅亚庶. (2014).Guanyu Liushu lilun yingyong zai duiwai hanzi jiaoxue zhong de yanjiu 关于六书理论应用在对外汉字教学中的研究. Hubei Minzu Xueyuan Xuebao (Zhexue Shehui Kexue Ban)湖北民族学院学报(哲学社会科学版),2,113-117.
Chua, Y. P. (2016). Mastering research methods (2nd ed.). Mcgraw-Hill Education.
Dörnyei, Z. (2005). The psychology of the language learner: Individual differences in second language acquisition. London, UK: Lawrence Erlbaum.
Dörnyei, Z. (2009). The L2 motivational self system. In Z. Dörnyei & E. Ushioda (Eds.), Motivation, language identity and the L2 self (pp. 9-42). Bristol, UK: Multilingual Matters.
Dörnyei, Z., & Chan, L. (2013). Motivation and vision: An analysis of future L2 self images, sensory styles, and imagery capacity across two target languages. Language Learning, 63(3), 437–462. https://doi.org/10.1111/lang.12005
Ellis, R. (1994). The study of second language acquisition. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Fei, J. 费锦昌.(1998). Duiwai hanzi jiaoxue de tedian, nandian jiqi duice对外汉字教学的特点、难点及其对策.北京大学学报（哲学社会科学版） Journal of Peking University(Philosophy and Social Sciences),3,3-5. https://doi:CNKI:SUN:BDZK.0.1998-03-017.
Gao, T. 高婷婷. (2018).Liushu zai duiwai hanzi jiaoxue zhong de yingyong yanjiu六书在对外汉字教学中的应用研究. (Shuoshi Xuewei Lunwen硕士学位论文,Zhejiang Keji Xueyuan浙江科技学院).
Kormos, J., & Kiddle, T. (2011). Systems of goals, attitudes, and self-related beliefs in second-language-learning motivation. Applied linguistics, 32(5), 495-516.
Li, J. 李静. (2018). Cong Liushu lilun kan duiwai hanzi jiaoxue 从六书理论看对外汉字教学. Wenxue Jiaoyu (Shang)文学教育（上）,5,146-147.
Li, M., & Zhang, L. (2021). Tibetan CSL learners’ L2 Motivational Self System and L2 achievement. System, 97, 102436.
Li, Q. 李泉.(2009). Guanyu jianli guoji hanyu jiaoyu xueke de gouxiang关于建立国际汉语教育学科的构想. Shijie Hanyu Jiaoxue世界汉语教学,3, 399-413.
Li, Y. 李运富. (2012). “Liushu” xingzhi ji jiazhi de chongxin renshi“六书”性质及价值的重新认识. Shijie HanyuJiaoxue世界汉语教学, 1,94-105.
Liu, Y. 刘雅芬.(2011). Sanweiyiti—cong renzhi jiaodu lun hanzi xingshengzi de jiaoxue三位一体——从认知角度论汉字形声字的教学.Haiwai Huawen Jiaoyu海外华文教育,1, 58-77.
Moskovsky, C., Assulaimani, T., Racheva, S., & Harkins, J. (2016). The L2 Motivational Self System and L2 Achievement: A Study of Saudi EFL Learners. Modern Language Journal, 100(3), 641–654. https://doi.org/10.1111/modl.12340
Pallant, J. (2010). SPSS Survival Manual: A Step by Step Guide to Data Analysis Using SPSS. Milton Keynes: Open University Press.
Qi, W .齐威.(2017). Zao zi fa zai duiwai hanzi jiaoxue zhong de yingyong造字法在对外汉字教学中的应用. Yishu Keji艺术科技, 7, 358+379.
Qiao, C. 乔春梅.(2011). Zaozifa zai duiyue chuji hanzi jiaoxue zhong de yunyong 造字法在对越汉字教学中的运用. (Shuoshi Xuewei Lunwen硕士学位论文,Huazhong Shifan Daxue华中师范大学). https://kns.cnki.net/KCMS/detail/detail.aspx?dbname=CMFD2012&filename=1012261280.nh
Ryan, S. (2009). Self and Identity in L2 Motivation in Japan: The Ideal L2 Self and Japanese Learners of English. In Motivation, Language Identity and the L2 Self (pp. 120–143). https://doi.org/10.21832/9781847691293-007
Su, J.苏锦锦,& Li, W.李炜.(2019). Naotu zhuji tuidong xia “zaozifa”lilun zai duiwai hanzi jiaoxue zhong de yingyong脑图助记推动下“造字法”理论在对外汉字教学中的应用.Jiaoyu Guancha教育观察, 35, 26-28+35.
Taguchi, T., Magid, M., & Papi, M. (2009). The L2 Motivational Self System among Japanese, Chinese and Iranian Learners of English: A Comparative Study In Z. Dörnyei & E. Ushioda (Eds.). In Motivation, language identity and the L2 self (Issue May 2014). Bristol: Multilingual Matters. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.21832/9781847691293-005
Tao, J. 陶家骏, Lin, Q. 林齐倩, & Zhang, T. 张唐凌.(2020). “Yidai yilu” changyi xia de Laowo “hanyu re” yanjiu “一带一路”倡议下的老挝“汉语热”研究. Guoji Hanyu Jiaoyu(Zhongying Wen)国际汉语教育（中英文）, 2, 91-99+90.
Wong, Y. K. (2018). Structural relationships between second-language future self-image and the reading achievement of young Mandarin learners in Hong Kong. System, 72, 201–214. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.system.2017.12.003
Xu, L. 徐丽亚.(2009). Liushu lilun yu duiwai hanzi jiaoxue六书理论与对外汉字教学. Wenxue Jiaoyu (Xia)文学教育（下）(08),146-147.
Ye, J.叶剑锋. (2013). Laowo xuesheng xuexi hanzi de nandian ji duice tanxi 老挝学生学习汉字的难点及对策探析. Xin Xibu(Lilun Ban)新西部（理论版）, 7, 88+90.
Zhang, C.张成霞, Lu, L.卢露萍, & Zhejing, B. 哲京·巴侯涛. (2021). Laowo hanyu jiaoxue xianzhaung ji fazhan yanjiu 老挝汉语教学现状及发展研究. Shijie Jiaoyu Xinxi 世界教育信息, 2, 63-69.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 GUO Qingli, CHEW Fong Peng
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published online in journal Acta Linguistica Asiatica by Ljubljana University Press, Faculty of Arts (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.