Word Class Ratios and Genres in Written Japanese: Revisiting the Modifier Verb Ratio
Keywords:BCCWJ, MVR, bagplot, genre, Long Unit Words
This paper explores the variability of genres in the Balanced Corpus of Contemporary Written Japanese using the modifier-verb ratio proposed by Kabashima and Jukaku (1965). Using bagplots to quantifying the relation between noun and modifier-verb ratios, as well as some summary statistics obtain from them, we attempt to classify genres according to Kabashima and Jugaku (1965). Our initial analysis confirms previous research results, while at the same time uncovering some contradictions in the ratios of the genre of magazines.
Fujiike, Y., Konishi, H., Ogura, H., Ogiso, T., & Koiso, H. (2011, Mar.). Tyōtan'i ni motozuku ‘gendai nihongo kakikotoba kinkō kōpasu’ no hinsihiritu ni kansuru bunseki. In Proceedings of the 17th Annual Meeting of The Association for Natural Language Processing (Vol. 17, pp. 663-666). Toyohashi, Japan.
Halliday, M. (2009). Methods - techniques - problems. In M. Halliday & J. J. Webster (Eds.), Continuum Companion to Systemic Functional Linguistics (pp. 59-86). Continuum International Publishing Group.
Kabashima, T., & Jugaku, A. (1965). Buntai no kagaku [Stylistics]. Sogeisha.
Kudo, T. (2011, July 20). MeCab: yet another part-of-speech and morphological analyzer. Retrieved from http://mecab.sourceforge.net/
Maekawa, K. (2007). Kotonoha and BCCWJ: development of a balanced corpus of contemporary written Japanese. In Proceedings of the First International Conference on Korean Language, Literature, and Culture (Vol. 2, pp. 158 ‒177). Corpora and Language Research. Seoul.
Maruyama, T., Yamazaki, M., Kashino, W., Sano, M., Akimoto, M., Inamasu, S., & Oyauchi, Y. (2010). Outline of sampling method in the balanced corpus of contemporary written japanese (4): Corpus design and the result of sampling. In Tokutei ryōiki kenkyū ‘nihongo kōpasu’ heisei 21 nendo kōkai waakusyoppu (kenkyuseikahōkokukai) yokōsyū (pp. 37-46).
NINJAL [National Institute for Japanese Language and Literature]. (2011). Tokuteiryōiki kenkyū nihongo kōpasu kenkyū seika hōkoku [Priority-Area Research “Japanese Corpus”: Research Report] [DVD media containing UniDic and Comainu]. Tokyo: General Headquarters, Priority-Area Research ”Japanese Corpus”.
R Development Core Team. (2011, July 20). R: a language and environment for statistical computing. ISBN 3-900051-07-0. R Foundation for Statistical Computing. Vienna, Austria. Retrieved from R Foundation for Statistical Computing: http://www.R-project.org
Rousseeuw, P. J., Ruts, I., & Tukey, J. W. (1999). The bagplot: a bivariate boxplot. The American Statistician, 53(4), 382-387. doi:10.2307/2686061
UniDic. (2011, July 20). Keitaiso kaiseki zisyo UniDic. Retrieved from http://www.tokuteicorpus.jp/dist/
Wolf, P., & Bielefeld, U. (2011, July 20). Aplpack: another plot package: stem.leaf, bagplot, faces, spin3r, and some slider functions. R package version 1.2.3. Retrieved from http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=aplpack
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2011 Bor HODOŠČEK
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published online in journal Acta Linguistica Asiatica by Ljubljana University Press, Faculty of Arts (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.