The Fifth Milestone in the Development of Chinese Language
Keywords:Chinese, neologisms, language development, social gap
Chinese language has changed drastically in the recent century. Papers on the language development mainly stress four big events in the Chinese history that imposed changes in language, i.e. The May Fourth Movement (1919), establishment of the People’s Republic of China (1949), Cultural Revolution (1966), and China’s reform and opening (1978). According to the features of recent neologisms, we suggest that the widening gap between rich and poor should be considered as the fifth milestone for changes in Chinese language.
Chen, J., Dai, D., Pu, M., Hou, W., & Feng, Q. (2010). The trend of the Gini coefficient of China (Vol. 109). Manchester: Brooks World Poverty Institute.
China faces instability risks as gap between rich, poor widens. (September 17, 2012, 2012, October 3). The Economic Times Retrieved October 3, 2012, from http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2012-09-17/news/33902854_1_gini-coefficient-inequality-economic-reforms
Du, L. [杜丽丽] (2009). Cong wenhua jiechu de shijiao kan Hanyu zhong de yiyi wailaici [从文化接触的视角看汉语中的意译外来词]. Journal of Puyang Vocational and Technical College [濮阳职业技术学院学报] (6), 60-62.
Duan, C. [段曹林], & Zeng, C. [曾翠媚] (2010). “171 tiao xinciyu” gouci, yongci de dingliang fenxi [“171条新词语”构词、用词的定量分析]. Journal of Hainan Normal University (Social Sciences) [海南师范大学学报(社会科学版)] 23, 137-144.
Gunn, E. M. (1991). Rewriting Chinese. Style and Innovation in Twentieth-Century Chinese Prose. Standford: Standford University Press.
Han, G. [韩贵强] (2011). “Bei XX” wangluo liuxingyu chutan [“被xx”网络流行语初探]. Central China Normal University Journal of Postgraduates [华中师范大学研究生学报], 18(4), 99-102.
Hou, M. [侯敏], & Zhou, J. [周荐] (2011). 2010 Hanyu xinciyu [2010 汉语新词语]. Beijing: Shangwu yinshuguan [商务印书馆].
Huang, F. [黄芳] (2009). Gaige kaifang 30 nian lai shehui liuxing de xinci xinyu ji qi guifanhua [改革开放30年来社会流行的新词新语及其规范化]. Jinri keyuan [今日科苑] (6), 188-189.
Index Mundi: China GINI Index. (2011, March 2, 2011). Retrieved October 3, 2012, from http://www.indexmundi.com/facts/indicators/SI.POV.GINI/compare?country=cn
Li, K. [李科] (2008). Research on the Newly Born Vocabulary of Modern Chinese [现代汉语新词研究]. Shandong University.
Lin, J. [林建平], & Xie, X. [谢雪梅]. (2012). Xinci xinyu he putonghua jiaoxue [新词新语和普通话教学]. Journal, 312-316. Retrieved from http://www.doc88.com/p-576886562640.html
Liu, H. [刘红妮] (2010). “Bei XX” xinci de duojiaodu kaocha [“被XX”新词的多角度考察]. Yuyan wenzi xueshu yanjiu [语言文字学术研究], 95(3), 49-53.
Ren, H. [任会芹] (2009). Qian tan 2008 nian wangluo xinci [浅析2008 年网络新词]. Anhui wenxue [安徽文学], 8, 326.
Sheng, X. [盛香芹] (2009). Gaige chuqi Xiandai Hanyu de jubian [改革初期现代汉语的巨变]. Rencai ziyuan kaifa [人才资源开发] (7), 105-106.
Su, X. [苏新春], & Huang, Q. [黄启庆] (2003). Xin ciyu de chengshu yu guifan cidian de xuanlu biaozhun. Tan “Xiandai Hanyu cidian” (2002 zengbuben) de “fulu xinci” [新词语的成熟与规范词典的选录标准——谈《现代汉语词典》（2002增补本）的“附录新词”]. Cishu yanjiu [《辞书研究》]. (3), 106-113.
Sun, S. (January 2, 2011). British Media coined “Peking Pound” for Extravagant Chinese Purchases and High stakes Gambling Abroad Retrieved September 9, 2012, from http://www.chinahush.com/2011/01/02/british-media-coined-peking-pound-for-extravagant-chinese-purchases-and-high-stakes-gambling-abroad/
Wang, H. [王红霞] (2011). A Contrastive Analysis of English and Chinese Neologism from the Perspective of Memetics.
Wang, M. [王铭宇] (2007). Yanjiu yu sikao: 2006 nian Hanyu xin ciyu [研制与思考: 2006年汉语新词语]. Yuwen jianshe [语文建设] 10, 52-53.
The World Factbook. (2012). Retrieved October 3, 2012. from https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/fields/2172.html.
Wu, L. [吴亮] (2006). A Research on Old Words New Meaning since the Beginning of Reform and Opening up [改革开放以来（1979年-2005年）的现代汉语旧词新义研究]. Shaanxi Normal University [陕西师范大学].
Wu, T. [吴彤], & Wu, X. [吴欣] (2012). 2010 nian Hanyu xinciyu yanjiu [2010年汉语新词语研究]. Yuwen yishu [语文艺术], 326, 66-68.
Xu, B. [许宝丹] (2009). The Analysis on Motivation of the Generating and Developing of Chinese New Words of New Period [新时期汉语新词语产生发展的动因探析] Unpublished M.A., Dalian University of Technology.
Yuan, Y. [袁园] (2006). 1990-2002 nianjian de jingjilei xinci touxi [1990-2002年间的经济类新词透析]. Nanjing Normal University [南京师范大学].
Zhang, J. [张京平] (2007). A Tentative Approach to the Chinese Neologism Translation in Recent Two Decades [近二十年汉语新词英译探析]. Central South University [中南大学].
Zhang, M. [张明辉] (2010). Lun shixia liuxung goushi “bei XX” [论时下流行构式“被XX”]. Journal of Guangdong Polytechnic Normal University [广东技术师范学院学报(社会科学)] (3), 85-87.
Zhang, W. [张卫中] (2004). 20 shiji chu Hanyu de Ouhua yu wenxue de biange [20世纪初汉语的欧化与文学的变革]. Wenyi zhengming [文艺争鸣] (3), 38–44.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2013 Mateja PETROVČIČ
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published online in journal Acta Linguistica Asiatica by Ljubljana University Press, Faculty of Arts (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.