Word Sketches of Separable Words Liheci in Chinese
Keywords:Chinese, separable words, liheci, word sketches, Sketch Engine
Separable words (liheci) are a special type of Chinese verbs with unique syntactical features in a sense that some elements come in between the two morphemes of a verb for a sentence to be grammatically acceptable. Not all separable words are extendable to the same degree. To understand the behaviour of words, it is generally advised to check word sketches, because they are based on large text corpora. This article examines how Chinese separable words are treated in Sketch Engine and discusses on the approprietness of the available Chinese corpora for word sketches. It further stresses the importance of including information on inserted elements in word sketches and gives suggestions on how to include them.
He, Q. [何清强]. (2009). Influence of Separation Extent on Acquisition of Verb-object Separable Words [分离度对动宾式离合词习得的影响]. Journal of Ningbo University (Liberal Arts Edition), 22(6), pp. 65-70.
Huang, X. [黄晓琴]. (2006). A Summery of the Research on Separable Word [离合词研究综述]. Journal of ILi Normal University, pp. 84-87.
Li, L. [李禄兴]. (2013). A dictionary of 5000 graded words for new HSK (Levels 1, 2 & 3) [新HSK 5000词分级词典（一~三级）]. Beijing: Beijing Language and Culture University Press.
Wang, H. [王海峰]. (2008). The Study on the Separable Words Separated Form Function of Mandarin Chinese [现代汉语离合词离折形式功能研究]. PhD thesis. Beijing: Beijing Yuyan Daxue.
Wang, H. [王海峰]. (2010). A corpus-based semantic study of the Chinese separable words [基于语料库的现代汉语离合词语义特征考察]. Journal of Hebei Normal University (Philosophy and Social Sciences Edition), 33(1), pp. 96-100.
Word Sketch. (2016). Retrieved from Sketch Engine: https://www.sketchengine.co.uk/word-sketch/
Zhou, W. [周卫华]. (2010). Expanding Forms and Features of Separable Words in Modern Chinese [现代汉语离合词的扩展形式及特点]. Sanxia luntan, 6, pp. 123-127.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2016 Mateja PETROVČIČ
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published online in journal Acta Linguistica Asiatica by Ljubljana University Press, Faculty of Arts (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.