New Developments in Chinese Studies of Contemporary Inductive Logic
Keywords:inductive logic, Hume’s problem, China, new developments
Contemporary Chinese studies in inductive logic have long revolved around the unfolding of a philosophical investigation into Hume’s problem. Led by research in probabilistic logic, the principal content of contemporary Chinese logic consists of research into Pascalean and non-Pascalean probabilistic logic, precise and imprecise probabilistic logic, pure inductive logic and material inductive logic. A newly arisen trend in the development of Chinese inductive logic is represented by the research on causal inference, which came into vogue within the field of artificial intelligence (AI) in the last few years. Consequently, the future developmental tendency will probably gravitate towards the new paradigms that will emerge from the mutual contest and interactions between probabilistic logic and causal logic.
Ayer, A. J. 2000. Hume: A Very Short Introduction. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Chen, Bo 陈波. 2001. “Xiumo wenti he Jin Yuelin de huida: lun guina de shijian biranxing he guina luoji de chongjian 休谟问题和金岳霖的回答－兼论归纳的实践必然性和归纳逻辑的重建 (Hume’s Problem and Jin Yuelin’s Reply: On Practical Necessity of Induction and Rebuilding of Inductive Logic).” Zhongguo shehui kexue 中国社会科学 (Social Science in China) 2001 (3): 35–46.
———. 2011. “Guina wenti: Luosu yu Jin Yuelin – Zhong-Xi zhexue jiaoliu de yige anlie 归纳问题：罗素与金岳霖——中西交流的一个案列 (The Problem of Induction: Russell and Jin Yuelin—A Case of Exchange between China and the West).” Shehui kexue luntan 社会科学论坛 9: 4–25.
Chen, Xiaoping 陈晓平. 1994. “Zhuguan zhuyi gailülun duiyu Xiumo wenti de ‘jiejue’ 主观主义概率论对于休谟问题的‘解决’(A ‘Solution’ of Hume’s Problem in Subjectivist Theory of Probability).” Ziran bianzhengfa tongxun 自然辩证法通讯 1: 17–24.
———. 1995. “Guanyu Xiumo wenti de yige jiejue fang’an 关于休谟问题的一个解决方案 (A Solution of Hume’s Problem).” Ziran bianzhengfa tongxun 自然辩证法通讯 17 (2): 9–15+8.
Dun, Xinguo 顿新国. 2019. “Heli xiangxin shijiao xia de guina beilun 合理相信视角下的归纳悖论 (An Analysis of the Inductive Paradoxes from the Perspective of Rational Belief).” Hubei daxue xuebao 湖北大学学报 1: 44–51+168–69.
Gui, Qiquan 桂起权, Ren Xiaoming 任晓明, and Zhu Zhifang 朱志方. 1995. Jiyu yu maoxian de luoji 机遇与冒险的逻辑 (The Logic of Opportunity and Risk Taking).” Beijing: Shiyou daxue chubanshe.
Hume, David. 1960 [1739–1740]. A Treatise of Human Nature. Edited by L. A. Selby-Bigge. Oxford: Claredon Press.
———. 2007 . An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding. Edited by Peter Millican. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Jiang, Tianji 江天骥. 1987. Guina luoji daolun 归纳逻辑导论 (Introduction to Inductive Logic). Changsha: Hubei renmin chubanshe.
Ju, Shier. 1993a. “The Unsolvability of Hume’s Problem and the Local Justification of Induction.” Epistemologia XVI: 77–95.
———. 鞠实儿. 1993b. Fei-Basika guina gailü luoji yanjiu 非巴斯卡归纳概率逻辑研究 (Studies in Non-Pascalean Inductive Probabilistic Logic). Hangzhou: Zhejiang renmin chubanshe.
Ju, Shier 鞠实儿, and Luo Xudong 罗旭东. 1997. “Yige buqueding yinguo guanxi de moxing 一个不确定因果关系的模型 (A Model of Relations of Uncertain Causality).” In 1997 nian luoji yanjiu zhuanji 1997 年逻辑研究专辑 (Anthology of Studies in Logic for the Year 1997), edited by Ziran bianzhengfa yanjiu jibu 自然辩证法研究编辑部, 23–30. Beijing: Zhongguo ziran bianzhengfa yanjiuhui bianji chuban wieyuanhui.
Li, Shuai 李帅. 2019. “Shizhi guina lilun neng jiejue Xiumo wenti ma? 实质归纳理论能解决休谟问题吗？ (Can the Theory of Material Induction Resolve Hume’s Problem?).” Zhexue fenxi 哲学分析 5: 81–92+198.
Liang, Xianhua 梁贤华. 2019. “Chuncui guina luoji kuangjia xia de leibi tuili 纯粹归纳逻辑框架下的类比推理 (Analogical Reasoning in the Framework of Pure Induction Logic).” Luojixue yanjiu 逻辑学研究 4: 17–37.
Meng, Lingfang 孟令芳. 2019. “Lun Huiweier dui Peigen guina sixiang de jichengyu fazhan 论惠威尔对培根归纳思想的继承与发展 (Whewell’s Inheritance and Development of Bacon’s Inductive Thought).” Kexue, jingji yu shehui 科学, 经济与社会 37 (2): 36–41+48.
Pan, Wenquan 潘文全. 2018. “Jingque gailü lilun de kunjing yu chulu 精确概率理论的困境与出路 (The Plights and Outlets on the Precise Probability Theory).” Ziran bianzhengfa tongxun 自然辩证法通讯 3: 38–45.
Pearl, Judea, and Dana Mackenzie. 2018. The Book of Why: The New Science of Cause and Effect. New York: Basic Books.
Shi, Yingying 施迎盈, and Xu Zihan 徐子涵. 2021. “Caipiao beilun jiqi xinnian zhuti fang’an 彩票悖论及其信念主体方案 (Lottery Paradox and its Solution of Subject of Belief).” Ziran bianzhengfa tongxun 自然辩证法通讯 5: 51–58.
Wu, Xiaoan 吴小安, and Zhang Yu 张瑜. 2021. “Rengong zhineng yu yinguo yuyan 人工智能与因果语言 (Artificial Intelligence and the Language of Cause and Effect). Kexue, jingji yu shehui 科学, 经济与社会 1: 30–38.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 REN Xiaoming
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Asian Studies by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.