Miyazawa Kenji: Interpretation of his Literature in Present Japan
Keywords:Buddhism, nature, literature, Japan, interaction
This paper seeks an answer to the question of why Kenji Miyazawa is attracting people’s attention now more than ever, with particular focus on Miyazawa’s view on Buddhism and nature, as expressed in his literature, by considering its value in contemporary Japan. This paper takes three features as examples: “the true happiness”, changing phenomena, and interaction between human beings and nature; and it concludes that Miyazawa’s messages support people in present-day Japan and assure them that they are on the right path in the long flow of the universe’s historical timeline.
Kamono, Chōmei. 1996. Hōjōki: Visions of a Torn World, translation by Yasuhiko Moriguchi and David Jenkins. California: Stone Bridge Press.
Kumata, Kenji 熊田健二. 1994. “Miyazawa Kenji no shūkyōteki sekai: Hokkekyōteki sekai to Ihatōbu” 宮澤賢治の宗教的世界 : 法華経的世界とイーハトーブ (“Miyazawa Kenji and his Religious World – the World of Lotus Sutra and Ihatov”). Artes liberales 55: 1–20, Iwate University.
Kurihara, Atsushi 栗原敦. 2011. “Miyazawa Kenji no bukkyō towa dono yōna mono de attaka (jō): ‘Hokkekyō’ tono Deai made” 宮沢賢治の仏教とはどのようなものであったか (上): 「法華経」との出会いまで (“What Sort of Buddhism did Kenji Miyazawa Practice? (Vol. 1): Before He Encountered the Lotus Sutra”). Jissen kokubungaku 80: 85–100. Jissen Women’s University.
Menda, Masaru 免田賢. 2012. “Miyazawa Kenji no sekai no shinrigakuteki kōsatsu” 宮沢賢治の世界の心理学的考察 (“The Psychological World of Kenji Miyazawa”). Kyōikugakubu ronshū 23: 147–63. Bukkyō University.
Nakano, Shinji 中野新治. 1984. “Miyazawa Kenji ni okeru ‘Dōwa’no seiritsu – Kitei to shite no Hokke Shinkō” 宮澤賢治に於ける「童話」の成立—基底としての法華信仰— (“Formation of ‘Children’s Stories’ in Miyazawa Kenji – Faith in Lotus Sutra as a base”). Nihon Bungaku Kenkyū 20: 163–74. Baikō Gakuin University.
Numata, Ken’ya 沼田健哉．1997. “Miyazawa Kenji ni okeru Kagaku to Shūkyō” 宮沢賢治における科学と宗教 (“Science and Religion in the Literature of Kenji Miyazawa”). Sōgō kenkyūsho Kiyō 22 (3): 83–96. St. Andrew’s University.
Okaya, Akio 岡屋昭雄. 1996. “Miyazawa Kenji Ron: Miyazawa Kenji no Shūkyōteki Uchū ni tsuite” 宮澤賢治論：宮澤賢治の宗教的宇宙について(“On Essay of Kenji Miyazawa”). Kyōikugakubu Ronshū 7: 1–19. Bukkyō University.
Okaya, Akio 岡屋昭雄. 1999. “Miyazawa Kenji Ron: Nichijō to Hi-nichijō no Uchū” 宮澤賢治論：日常と非日常の宇宙 (“On Essay of Kenji Miyazawa: Research Notes”). Kyōikugakubu Ronshū 7: 1–19. Bukkyō University.
Sueki, Fumihiko 末木文美士. 2000. Nichiren Nyūmon – Gensei o Utsu Shisō 日蓮入門——現世を撃つ思想 (Introduction to Nichiren – A Tought That Attacks the Present Society). Tōkyō: Chikuma Shinsho.
Tanikawa, Tetsuzō 谷川徹三. 1950. Daiyojigen no geijutsu: Miyazawa Kenji - Daisanron 第四次元の藝術：宮澤賢治第三論 (The Art in the Four Dimension: the Third Discussion on Miyazawa Kenji). Tōkyō: Kōbundō.
Tanikawa, Tetsuzō 谷川徹三. 1951. Miyazawa Kenji 宮沢賢治 (Miyazawa Kenji). Tōkyō: Kaname shobō.
Tanikawa, Tetsuzō 谷川徹三. 1953. Miyazawa Kenji no sekai 宮沢賢治の世界 (The World of Miyazawa Kenji). Tōkyō: Hōsei daigaku shuppankyoku.
Umehara, Takeshi 梅原猛. 1985. Kenji no Uchū 賢治の宇宙 (The World of Kenji). Tōkyō: Kōsei shuppansha.
Yamaori, Tetsuo 山折哲雄. 2006. “Miyazawa Kenji no Uchū” 宮澤賢治の宇宙 (“Miyazawa’s Spiritual Cosmos”). Kokusai Bunka Ronshū 34: 99–130. St. Andrew’s University.
Yoshimoto, Takaaki 吉本隆明. 1989. Miyazawa Kenji 宮沢賢治 (Miyazawa Kenji). Tōkyō: Chikuma shobō.
Yoshimura, Akira 吉村昭. 2004. Sanriku Kaigan Ōtsunami 三陸海岸大津波 (Sanriku Offshore Great Tsunami). Tōkyō: Bungei Shunjū.
Miyazawa, Kenji 宮澤賢治. 1988a. Shinpen Ginga Tetsudō no Yoru 新編 銀河鉄道の夜 (New Edition: Night on the Milky Way Train). Tōkyō: Shinchō Bunko.
Miyazawa, Kenji 宮澤賢治. 1988b. Shinpen Kaze no Matasaburō 新編 風の又三郎 (New Edition - Matasaburō, the Wind Imp). Tōkyō: Shinchō Bunko.
Miyazawa, Kenji 宮澤賢治. 1991. Shinpen Miyazawa Kenji Shihsū 新編 宮澤賢治詩集 (New Edition -The Collected Poems of Miyazawa Kenji). Tōkyō: Shinchō Bunko.
Miyazawa, Kenji 宮澤賢治. 1997. Eigo de Yomu Miyazawa Kenji Shishū 英語で読む宮沢賢治詩集 (Reing in English: The Collected Poems of Miyazawa Kenji, Roger Pulvers Translations). Tōkyō: Chikuma Bunko.
National Agriculture and Food Research Organization, “Rice Growing and Low Summer Temperatures in the Tōhoku Region”. Accessed March 30, 2013, http://www.reigai.affrc.go.jp/zusetu/inasaku/jittai/syuryotokei.pdf.
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Asian Studies by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.