The Importance of Augustin Hallerstein for Cultural and Political Relations with China and Korea
Keywords:Hallerstein, Qing dynasty, Jesuits, astronomy, science
Since symbols of early cultural relations between Europe and East Asia are important, we are striving to restore the image of Augustin Hallerstein (1703–1774) in China and earn his legacy its appropriate position in the history of the Qing dynasty next to other great Jesuits like Adam Shall von Bell (1591–1666), Ferdinand Verbiest (1623–1688), or Ignatius Kogler (1680–1746). A two-year EU project made possible the publication of a monograph in English, which was translated into Chinese and published in China in February 2015. Wider popularization of his achievements should be beneficial to Slovenia as well as to China, where he did his work. Such common heroes of the past could often be used to promote better understanding and cooperation between China and Slovenia. Through strong connections with Korean scholars he gained a high reputation in Korea as well.
Ju, Deyuan 鞠德源. 1985. “Qing Qintianjian jianzheng Liu Songling – jinian Nansilafu tianwen xuejia Liu Songling shishi erbai yishi zhounian 清钦 天监监正刘松龄—纪念南斯拉夫天文学家刘松龄逝世二百一十周年.” Gugong bowuyuan yuankan 故宮博物院院刊 1: 53-62.
Hong, Darong 洪大容. 1998. “Liu Bao Wenda 刘鲍问答.” In Dong xi jiaoliu shi lungao 东西交流史论稿. Shanghai: Shanghai guji chuban she.
Hribar, Viljem Marjan, ed. 2003. Mandarin: Hallerstein, Kranjec na kitajskem dvoru. Radovljica: Didakta.
Južnič, Stanislav. 2003. Kitajski astronom iz Mengša. Ljubljana: Tehniška založba.
Keller, Franz, ed. 1755. Der Neue Welt-Bott. Book IV, Part XXX. Vienna.
–––. ed. 1758. Der Neue Welt-Bott. Book IV, Part XXXIV. Vienna.
Osojnik, Jani. 2003. “Avguštin Hallerstein in knjiga Astronomski opazovalnik in popolne študije po nalogu cesarja.” In Mandarin: Hallerstein, Kranjec na kitajskem
dvoru, edited by Viljem Marjan Hribar, 191–210. Radovljica: Didakta.
Pfister, Louis. 1934. Notices biographiques et bibliographiques sur les Jésuites de l’ancienne mission de Chine 1552–1773. II. Chang-hai: Imprimerie de la Mission Catholique.
Pray, György. 1781. Imposturae a.CCXVIII in dissertatione R.P.Benedicti Cetto, Clerici Regularis a Scholis Piis de Sinensium Imposturisdetectae et convulsae. Budae.
Saje, Mitja, ed. 2009. A. Hallerstein – Liu Songling: The Multicultural Legacy of Jesuit Wisdom and Piety at the Qing Dynasty Court. Maribor: Association for Culture and Education Kibla; Ljubljana: Arhiv Republike Slovenije.
Šmitek, Zmago. 1986. Klic daljnih svetov. Radovljica: Didakta.
–––. 1995. Srečevanja z drugačnostjo: slovenska izkustva eksotike. Radovljica: Didakta.
Vissière, Isabelle, and Jean-Louis. 1979. Lettres édifiantes et curieuses de Chine par les missionnaires jésuites, 1702–1776, chronologie, introduction, notices et notes. Paris: De l’Université de Provence, Garnier-Flammarion.
Yan, Zonglin 阎宗临. 2003. Chuanjiaoshi yu Faguo zaoqi Hanxue 传教士与法国 早期汉学. Zhengzhou: Daxiang chuban she.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2016 Mitja SAJE
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Asian Studies by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.