Mandate of Heaven and Two Kinds of Truth
A Contrastive Analysis of Tang Junyi’s and Mou Zongsan’s Models of Confucian Democracy
Keywords:Confucianism, Taiwanese philosophy, Modern Confucianism, democracy, science
The majority of modern scholars believed that Confucianism was an obsolete and outdated ideology, which is not only inappropriate for the development of modern sciences and democratic societies, but also responsible for a deep social and political crisis that has marked China during the last two centuries. The Taiwanese Modern Confucians, however, have never assumed that the Confucian system was responsible for such a situation. Most of them believed that Confucianism is compatible with science and democracy. Besides, the majority of them assumed that the East Asian cultures will never be able to develop truly democratic structures of their societies unless they take in consideration the appropriate elements of their own, i.e. Confucian traditions. This paper critically analyses Tang Junyi’s and Mou Zongsan’s theoretical models of a possible revival of Confucian proto-democracies.
Buljan, Ivana. 2016. “Bao wei quan 保位權 (Chapter 20 of the Chunqiu fanlu 春秋繁露).” Monumenta Serica 64 (1): 73–100. DOI: 10.1080/02549948.2016.1175780.
Han, Qiang 韓強 in Zhao Guanghui 趙光輝. 1994. Wenhua yishi yu daode lixing – Gang Tai xin rujia Tang Junyi yu Mou Zongsande wenhua zhexue 文化意識與道德理性 – 港台新儒家唐君毅與牟宗三的文化哲學 (Kulturna zavest in moralni razum – Hongkonško-tajvanska moderna konfucijanca Tang Junyi in Mou Zongsan ter njuna filozofija kulture). Shenyang: Liaoning renmin chuban she.
Li ji 禮記 (Knjiga obredov). 2019. Dostopno na: Chinese Text Project. Pre-Qin and Han. Privzeto 7. julij, 2019. http://chinese.dsturgeon.net/text.pl?node=3925&if=en.
Mengzi 孟子 (Mojster Meng, Mencij). 2019. Dostopno na: Chinese Text Project. Pre-Qin and Han. Privzeto 7. julij, 2019. http://chinese.dsturgeon.net/text.pl?node=3925&if=en.
Mou, Zongsan 牟宗三. 1975. Xianxiang yu wu zishen 現象與物自身 (Pojavi in stvari po sebi). Taibei: Xuesheng shuju.
——. 1983. Zhongguo zhexue shijiu jiang 中國哲學十九講 (Devetnajst predavanj iz kitajske filozofije). Taibei: Xuesheng shuju.
——. 2010. Yuanshan lun 圓善論 (O Summum Bonum). Changchun: Jilin chuban jituan zouxian zeren gongsi.
Ogrizek, Marko. 2017. “Following the Way of the Ancient Kings: The Concept of ‘Learning’ in the Teachings of Ogyū Sorai.” Asian Studies 5 (2): 139–51.
Rošker, Jana S. 2013. Subjektova nova oblačila – idejne osnove modernizacije v delih druge generacije modernega konfucijanstva. Ljubljana: Znanstvena založba FF.
Sernelj, Tea. 2017. “Metodološki problemi Xu Fuguanove primerjalne analize Zhuangzijeve estetike in zahodne fenomenologije.” Asian Studies 5 (1): 271–88.
Sin, Yee Chan. 2002. “Tang Junyi: Moral Idealism and Chinese Culture.” V Contemporary Chinese Philosophy, uredila Cheng Chung-Ying in Nicholas Bunnin, 305–26. Oxford: Blackwell Publishers.
Tang, Junyi 唐君毅. 1985. Daode ziwozhi jianli 道德自我之建立 (Vzpostavitev moralnega sebstva). Taipei: Xuesheng shuju.
——. 1986. Wenhua yishi yu daode lixing 文化意識與道德理性 (Kulturna zavest in moralni razum). Taibei: Xuesheng shuju.
——. 2000. Renwen jingshenzhi chongjian 人文精神之重建 (Ponovna vzpostavitev duha humanistike). Taipei: Xuesheng shuju.
Tang, Refeng. 2002. “Mou Zongsan on Intellectual Intuition.” V Contemporary Chinese Philosophy, uredila Cheng Chung-Ying in Nicholas Bunnin, 327–45. Oxford: Blackwell Publishers.
Vampelj Suhadolnik, Nataša. 2015. “Ferdinand Augustin Hallerstein on Giuseppe Castiglione’s Art.” Asian Studies 3 (2): 33–56.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2020 Jana S. Rošker
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Asian Studies by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.