On Tesnière on the dual
Keywords:On Tesnière on the dual
Duals come and go almost everywhere, or have done so some time or other, but it is rare for such events to be chronicled so circumstantially as Lucien Tesnière did for Slovenian in his well-known chef-d'oeuvre of 1925. Tesniere's chief interest was to collect enough information to be able to chart comprehensively the dual's demise and partial renaissance in the varietie of Slovenian, dialectal as well as literary, and to identify the changes concerned as phonological, morphological (in particular analogical), or syntactic. Although he would sometimes compare Slovenian patterns and developments to others, especially Slavonic and Indo-European ones, he was reluctant to draw general conclusions from the particulars so amply at his disposal other than implicitly, occasionally hinting at "tendences" or "causes profondes" supposedly giving direction to the vagaries of phonetics and morphology.
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Linguistica by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.