The Hittite nunstarrijashas -festival (CTH 626)
Keywords:The Hittite nunstarrijashas -festival (CTH 626)
AbstractAlthough the mmtarrijashas-festival is one of the most elaborate and extensive Hittite religious celebrations, its purpose still remains unclear. The first prob lem lies with the title itself. The word nuntarrijashas itself is faintly clear; it is a -aha-formation (Čop 1971, 62-81) from the adverb nuntaraš "quickly, swiftly"; a derivation from a verb meaning "to hurry, to hasten" ( Güterbock 1970, 178) is also possible, although a verb *nuntarrija- is not yet known from Hittite texts. The title should thus be rendered as "Festival of Speed" which bears little or no relation to the activities described during this festival. It was earlier thought that the title related to the speed with which the king travelled from one place to another (Goetze 1957, 165) but the same would apply e.g. for the AN. TAH. ŠUM-festival performed in spring (Cornelius 1970, 171 ff. ). Another possibility could be cultic racing, but again, for this activity the verb pittai- "to race, to run" is used (Otten 1951, 228 and n. 38), while here the functionaries are "rushing forwards" for which the verb piran huwai- is employed (KUB XXV 12 VI 5). The matter is further complicated with the statement referring to the fifth day of the festival which alone is stressed as being the nuntarrijashas-festival. Perhaps this activity is the essential part which lent its name to the whole festival. Here the "depositing" of recently harvested grain, honey and wine is "re leased" for common use (Hoffner 1974, 49).
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2015 Sivin Košak
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Linguistica by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.